MediaGist

Multilingual Media Summarization and Sentiment Analysis

Top 1% of Australians own more wealth than bottom 70% combined
Australia now has 33 billionaires, up from 14 since before the global financial crisis in 2008
Articles: 2 (Rank: 14)
Tonality: 3.0
Top entities
Comments: 3192
Tonality: 1.2161654
  • Yet over the same time, the average wages of ordinary Australians have increased by just 36% and average household wealth grew by 12%.
  • The Oxfam Report, Growing Gulf Between Work and Wealth, has been released on the eve of the annual World Economic Forum, a gathering of the world’s political and business leaders in Davos, Switzerland.
  • The report also says income inequality has steadily climbed in Australia over time and, despite some fluctuations, is higher than at any time before the global financial crisis in 2008.
  • These are people worth billions upon billions of dollars who continue to game the tax system and political representation to their advantage - as Buffett said, he pays a lower percentage of tax than his office cleaners.
  • We celebrate gluttony and unhinge possession of wealth as pencil achievement of western society!
  • The wealth that has pulled those people out of dire poverty has not come from the rich in rich countries it has come from the poor and middle income people in rich countries.
  • Not many people think that's good enough.
Articles' vs. comments' controversy: Entities' controversy: Crosslingual rank controversy:
0.9 2.9 0.058
Crosslingual links: 2 Crosslingual article controversy: Crosslingual comment controversy:
5.7 0.8
Inequality gap widens as 42 people hold same wealth as 3.7bn poorest

Oxfam calls for action on gap as wealthiest people gather at World Economic Forum in Davos

Text length: 3847
Tonality: 15
Top entities
Comments: 2502
Tonality: 1

Published: 22. 1. 2018 19:07:46

Source: theguardian.com

Mentioned entities: 143

  • If we pushed for investment in automation / technology and the distribution of the benefits (in addition to wealth redistribution policies) then many of us could have a passive income lifestyle.
  • In 50 years time the 1% rich will migrate to Mars leaving the barren and polluted earth to the 99% poor.
  • These are people worth billions upon billions of dollars who continue to game the tax system and political representation to their advantage - as Buffett said, he pays a lower percentage of tax than his office cleaners.
  • Oxfam are not lobbying for poor people in Africa, they are lobbying against wealthy people in the West, they are now focused on political inequality rather than real poverty.
  • So the combined intelligence of 7 billion people couldn't design an improved version of the random chaos we have now, and still retain some form of capitalism, but one that works a bit better?
Top 1% of Australians own more wealth than bottom 70% combined

Australia now has 33 billionaires, up from 14 since before the global financial crisis in 2008

Text length: 3765
Tonality: -9
Top entities
Comments: 690
Tonality: 2

Published: 22. 1. 2018 08:03:00

Source: theguardian.com

Mentioned entities: 55

  • The right wing has, with murdochs help, been making the rich richer and detracting the public gaze away from this by hyping angst against boat people, welfare hanger ons taking YOUR tax money and so on.
  • Despite efforts by the treasurer, Scott Morrison, to portray Australia as a country in which income inequality is not worsening... scott morrison's egalitarian guff most annoying.
  • "the household wealth of average Australians grew by just 12%"
  • "Maybe total wealth refers to money and not individuals..."
  • A good start would be to close all the tax loopholes and avoidance schemes used by the wealthy and multinational corporations (including rebates such at those on diesel fuel by mining companies).